Wednesday, April 14, 2010

The Essential (Foodie) Gift Pack for a 21st Present

        This is what Di and I put together as a 21st birthday present for one of our close friends Sarah. I had an extra day off last long weekend so decided that I would catch up with Di for afternoon tea and while we were at it we could get the birthday present out of the way too. I knew that I had the perfect idea and when I explained it to Di (and then took her to The Essential Ingredient) she agreed I was on to something =). We chose the items we thought would be a bit more "gourmet" than the usual fair and different things that she wouldn't usually buy herself or find at the local shops.
So the contents of the box contained:
  • 1 Recipe Book: 500 Cupcakes
  • 1 pack of 12 large sugar butterflies (you can almost make them out in the pic below after I shuffled the contents around)
  • 1 pack of cupcake print cupcake patties
  • 1 packet of Lime & Ginger shortbread
  • 1 pack of candy hearts (cupcake decos)
  • 1 packet of lavosh crisps
  • 1 jar of red capsicum tapenade
  • 1 jar of raspberry, rhubarb and vanilla jam
  • 1 tube of blue sprinkles
  • 1 tube of green sprinkles
        I so wanted to keep this box to myself. Okay so the birthday girl isn't a big foodie like I am but she loves her food and loves baking. What better present than a gift pack made up of all things food/baking related from The Essential Ingredient? I know that she's busy with uni and work at the moment but hopefully some of the items will inspire her to pull out her oven mitts again (I know you're reading Sarah! - Happy Birthday again! And start practising those baking skills ;) ). It was also handy that I still had all my floristry stuff lying around - handy being an ex florist ;) made presenting it all a lot easier.

        I also couldn't help but pick up a few items for myself. This was already my third trip in 2 weeks! Ryan was interested in the ash chevre goats cheese so I thought I would buy it for him to try while I was there - it's still in the fridge as we're yet to try it. I also wanted to try another one of the Dolfin chocolate range, I chose the dark chocolate with pink peppercorn. I've never had this combination before and found it quite interesting, definately not a combination I would usually think about eating. I was also excited to see that they stocked Lindt couverture chocolate and couldn't help pick up a jar of the dark bittersweet chocolate. I'm yet to use it but am scared Ryan and I might end up eating the whole jar before I get to make good use of it. The chocolate is just so smooth and silky. It's so good to eat!

***Edited 15/4***
Message from the birthday girl on facebook:
Thank you thank you thank you soooo much. Di just gave me the gift. It is so sweet... and it wreaks of your handiwork Angie... right down to the pinned on handwritten card. Its perfect. I love it. Pass on my hugs and thanks to Ryan too :)

        I don't do what I do to seek praise but it's a nice warm fuzzy feeling when you get recognised for what you do =)

8 comments:

  1. that's a fantastic foodie gift. i've love a present like that :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd love a present like that myself, and I *work* at The Essential Ingredient :-)

    By the way, if you're looking for something to cook with that Lindt you purchased, check out the recipes page over at the Lindt website.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a gorgeous gift and so nicely wrapped too! :D I'm not surprised that she loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awww. That is an amazing gift! Geez, I need to get myself over to The Essential Ingredient asap!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Simon: Is your birthday soon? Maybe you can drop some hints =D

    Hi Melissa: Thanks for the reminder! I had the page favourited but toally forgot. I saw the recipe book which I want to get my hands on =)

    Hi Lorraine: Thanks. I've made many a gift hampers before as part of my job =D

    Hi Amy: Hehe well what are you waiting for? =p

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous Idea!! I've never actually done that before as a gift - yet it's so traditional and lovely! and simple with some planning.thinking.. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fantastic idea! I'd be over the moon if I received something like that. Good on ya! What a luvky friend :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Sarah: Thanks! I like putting personal touches to things and personally handpicking every item that went in made it even more special =)

    Hi Phuoc: Thanks! Things I do for friends... =)

    ReplyDelete