Thursday, June 3, 2010

Garlic Prawns with Orange and Fennel (Part 2 to Saturday Lunch)

        Who doesn't love prawns? Unless you're allergic to seafood, but then there's also those who don't like seafood, most of us though won't say no to some good prawns. For the big lunch get together which Ryan and I hosted on the weekend, I wanted to make an entree and a dessert. I know that I am good in the dessert department but didn't want to just make dessert. I didn't really count my thai pumpkin soup as a dish as that was more of a teaser before the main meal.

        As it was cold my mind eventually came to garlic prawns, I was thinking freshly cooked piping hot prawns in a nice garlic and prawn infused olive oil to go with the delicious bread that I bought. Then I thought that maybe garlic prawns are too boring so I would serve them on a bed of orange and fennel. Anyway things never go exactly as we plan.

        I headed over to Ryan early in the morning to start prepping for lunch and setting up everything. Ryan advises me that his Boeuf Bourguignon didn't seem quite right so we both try to think of ways to save it (post about that drama to come later). I then get started on doing my things (glaze chocolate tart, heat up soup, peel prawns, slice oranges, slice fennel, heat up bread, cook prawns, set up tables etc) while Ryan fixes his stew. Before I know it guests have started to arrive and I was only cutting through my oranges, the tables wern't even set up, prawns hadn't been peeled, fennel to be cut, and Ryan was in the shower!

        I know it was bad of us but boy were we glad to have helping hands. There was only one of Ryan and one of me to do everything that we had to do, and luckily we wern't actually providing all of the food. I discover the prawns which Mum gave me were also still frozen so after a few rinses under some water they were good to go. Thanks to the girls for helping me peel them!

        So the original inspiration came fram Shadi and Veronica from My Kitchen Rules (the QLD couple). I remember this combo and that the judges really liked it. I thought I would give it a go and try something different and out of my normal "comfort zone".  This is my own recipe though but using the same combination of flavours/ingredients I guess. I had to get Ryan to help me cook this though as I was busy running around doing other things. In summary, this is really as the title says, garlic prawns with orange and fennel. I got Ryan to sautee the prawns in some olive oil with some minced garlic and a few finely chopped chillies for some kick.

        The original intention was to keep the fennel raw and to just put the prawns over the top using the juices as a dressing. Ryan suggested that because it was cold, to quickly toss in the fennel and lightly warm it up. I think the oranges were also thrown in and quickly tossed through the pan juices. Seasoned with a bit of salt and pepper and this is the result of what we did. Something simple but yet full of flavour - sweet, savoury, spicy, though it did get cold by the time I got around to eating it. I'll definately do this again but refine the cooking process a little bit more.

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had a fun and tasty time experimenting! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love garlic prawns. Having them with orange and fennel is a brilliant idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like orange and fennel together. My two fav ingredients actually. This sounds like a fun dish to make – I will try!

    ReplyDelete
  4. HI Lorraine: Yes, sometimes the best things that come out of the kitchen are the end results of experiments =)

    HI Ellie: I love garlic prawns too! Adding orange and fennel to the dish gave it another dimension.

    HI Anh: It really is a great combo, I'm glad I tried it out.

    ReplyDelete