Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Willy Wonker Factory aka Georgiou's Confectionery (25th September)

        Would you believe it if I told you I had my very own Willy Wonker factory in my neighbourhood? Okay so it doesn't have Oompa Loompas and a chocolate river but it's pretty much a sweet fantasy land where you could get lost for hours and hours immersed in sweet sweet memories thinking about all the candy you ate as a child.
        This Willy Wonka like factory is called Georgiou's Confectionery. They are a confectionery wholesaler but also sell direct to the public. This place is pretty easy to miss, a big brown unassuming building on a main road where you could possibly have driven past day after day and not known what was beyond those walls. Just like in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory 'Nobody goes in, and nobody comes out'. Okay that part is a lie.

        As you walk in the front door (watch your step, a few steep climbs up) instantly you are hit with the strong aroma of chocolate and candy. Towards your right is where the front counter is. There are displays of bulk foil wrapped chocolates and other bits and pieces of sweet things. Towards your left are nice pretty displays stacked full of chocolates and biscuits and the like. It was only September and there were already Christmas gift boxes on display. It takes a while to slowly take in everything - it is quite overwhelming when you first walk in.
        This is only my second visit to this place in all the years that I've lived in the area. As soon as I stepped through the front door I remembered why it had been so so long since my last visit. I just wanted to buy/eat everything in sight.

Ohh look giant sherbet straws!


Ohhh - Willy Wonka Golden Tickets!

        There were bins with Hershey Kisses and Reese's candy on special, couldn't resist picking some up.

        At the back of the factory there's 2 aisles fully stacked on either side with all the candy that you can imagine, going higher than your head. Split into small bags and also available in bulk. I can say that as a child I had sampled almost all of the types that were available. Redskins, frogs, toffee apple lollipops, milk bottles, everlasting gobsmackers, loveheart lollipops, gummi bears along with  the all time favourites and things like chocolate coated nuts etc. 

They also stock alot of popular brands in bulk like Allen's fantales, minties, jaffas etc.

Ohh Flying Saucers! Took me back to the Heston Blumenthal episode.

        My real mission for this visit was to track down pop rocks - I didn't need a whole rocket full though and managed to nab the last bag of 8 little packs they had for $2. I was so intent on tracking down pop rocks that by the time I bought them I couldn't even remember what I wanted them for. Didn't matter though because Ryan got to most of them and was content eating the pop rocks as they were. We sure had fun going down memory lane with those.

        Back to the front 'store' section I was also excited to see that they also stocked all the American import items too. Had no idea what to do with them at the time though so didn't buy anything from this selection.

        Ohhh pop tarts, it has been yonkers since they stopped making them. Was keen to try a couple of these American ones, just for the sake of memories.

        So this is what I came out with at the end of my visit. I really did feel like a kid in a candy shop, oh wait - I WAS a kid in a candy shop. It was a fun time going down memory lane with all the candy but I think I need to avoid the place - for the sake of my sugar levels. The fact that it's within walking distance from my house (10 minute walk) is very dangerous but self control has prevented me from going nuts.

147 New Canterbury Road, Petersham NSW 2049

Hours of Operation:
Monday 8:30am - 4:30pm
Tuesday 8:30am - 4:30pm
Wednesday 8:30am - 4:30pm
Thursday 8:30am - 4:30pm
Thursday 8:30am - 4:30pm
Friday 8:30am - 4:30pm
Saturday 8:30am - 4:30pm
Sunday 10:00am- 3:00pm
*Only open on Sundays 4 weeks prior to Easter, and 8 weeks before Christmas.
Georgiou's is closed on public holidays, but open on Good Friday.
Closed at 12:00pm on Christmas Eve, but we are still open for coach bookings.

17 comments:

  1. I was expecting a chocolate river but wow... so many varieties. you lucky girl. can't believe it took you so long!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just watching the pics puts me in a sugar coma :D Wish we had stores like that in Germany

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so going there to stock up on giant bags of Jaffas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bulk packs of Allens lollies are perfect for parties and the like. But it appears that they have a good selection of, well, everything to keep most people happy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum, this place has been around for ages, thanks for reminding me... it's wonderful

    ReplyDelete
  6. CANDYYYYYY SO MUCH CANDYYYYY EEEEEEEEEEEEE

    ReplyDelete
  7. There's no way you could come out of that place without some damage to your wallet or your teeth! Thanks (not!) for informing us of this dangerous place.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh yes, I feel a trip coming on.

    They have stopped making pop tarts??

    ReplyDelete
  9. now to get them to install a chocolate river and hire a few oompa loompas and the picture is complete.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ahh, if only Willy Wonka's factory actually existed! Everlasting gobstopper with three course meals included - yes please!! But failing that - the amount, range and variety of confectionary at your Wonka factory is very impressive! Sugar headache?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh I hadn't heard of this place before, and so close to my home - D'oh!

    Thanks for sharing the tip :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh wow. sugar overload! that stash would last me my whole life time lol

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! this place is just a treasure trove, and I never knew it existed! Great find Angie!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What fun! It was always my fantasy to visit Willy Wonka's factory :D

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Penny: Like I said, all it was missing was a chocolate river =D

    Hi Toertchen: Hehe you could always come down and visit us here ;)

    Hi Karen: Hehe yeah why not! =D

    Hi Rita: Yup whatever your likes are, they will most likely have it.

    Hi Thang: Yeah, I do avoid this place for the sake of my health but I was there on a mission =D

    Hi Suze: Candyyyyyyyy =D

    Hi Bel: Hehe I sense a big tour bus perhaps? =D

    Hi Sara: Um I think that the only ones available are actually imported from America now?

    Hi GG: Yup! and Thanks! =)

    Hi Trina: One can only dream of a real Willy Wonka land =D

    Hi Ladybird: Ohhh yay I've found a neighbour (kind of) =D

    Hi Betty: Haha yeah, it did last me quite a while

    Hi Anh: Next time you're in Sydney!

    Hi Gianna: Thanks! =)

    Hi Lorraine: Yeah, we will only keep on dreaming... =D

    ReplyDelete