Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Grilled Chicken Wraps with Home Made Spring Onion Flat Bread (8th Jan)

         Everyone loves a wrap, you can fill them with anything you like, and even serve them DIY style where everyone can just make their own and put as much or as little in as they like. I was on a bit of a bread making frenzy when I made my home made burgers with brioche bun, and then the sweet cinnamon pretzels, also because I had some yeast that was close to expiry which needed to be used up. These were made during the time that my parents were overseas, so naturally being the elder sister I was in charge of getting everyone fed, and I'd like to think I fed them well while Mum and Dad were away. I'm also a fan of easy recipes, especially onces which I could cook from scratch but yet be simple enough that I didn't have to slave away all day in the kitchen, and this is one of them.
        Why spend money on a packet of tortillas or flat bread when you can make it yourself from scratch with no hidden additives and add whatever flavours you want to them. They're also great eaten freshly cooked. This recipe for flat bread comes from a great cookbook which uses only three or four ingredients per recipe. Some of the recipes do use premade or packaged basics but I generally use the book for inspiration as to what I could do with what I have on hand when I am stuck for time or want a quick/easy meal. I spotted this recipe for flat bread and thought it was perfect so I planned it into my day which also involved making those scrumptious pretzels too.

Recipe: Spring Onion Flatbread (adapted from: Best Eever Three & Four Ingredient Cookbook)
Ingredients
  • 450g plain flour
  • 1 sachet instant dried yeast
  • 4 spring onions finely chopped
  • 1 tsp (5g) salt
  • 1 1/4 cups (300ml) warm water
        A stand mixer will make it easier but you can mix and kneed the dough by hand. Place all the dry ingredients into a bowl and stir to combine.
        Add the warm water to the flour mixture and mix to form soft, but not sticky dough. Attach a dough hook or turn out the dough onto the bench and knead for about 5 minutes until smooth.
         Return the dough to the bowl and cover with some plastic wrap and a tea towel and let it rest in a warm place until doubled in size. Punch down the dough and turn out onto a floured bench. Divide the dough into approximately 16 balls (less if you want larger rounds).
         Roll each ball of dough into a round ball and then roll out into a flat round with a rolling pin.
        Heat a large fry pan on high and place a round in shaking off any excess flour, and cook for about 1 minute and then flipping it over and cooking for another 30 seconds or so, or until browned.
        I decided to fill my wraps with chicken, everybody loves chicken. I just marinated some chicken breast in whatever herbs and spices I had in the pantry, bit of paprika, ground chilli, cumin, can't remember exactly what the combination was but you can season it with whatever your favourites are. Cooked them on a griddle pan to get the nice charred effect.
        Sliced and layered with some lettuce, tomato and cucumber and a squeeze of sweet chilli sauce and we have some ultra tasty home made chicken wraps. I was actually suprised at how well they turned out, and they were an absolute hit with the sibblings and the boyfriend. I think the home made flat bread made all the difference though.
        I wasn't even thinking about plating presentation so they are looking a little plain. The great thing about these wraps is that you can customise them with whatever ingredients you want. I unfortunatley had to keep mine pretty simple as I was feeding 4 picky eaters, each one different to the other. But sometimes simple is best.

        After stuffing ourselves with the wraps for dinner, Ryan and I headed out into the city for Sydney Festival's First Night. I took my new camera out with me to play around with some night shots. This was Martin Place.


Some awesome drum performances.


Chifley Plaza glowing in blue.


A different perspective of Chifley Square.


DJ playing in Chifley Square.


        This was around the corner from Chifley Square, close to where Parliament House and the Sydney Hospital are. There were some street performers which is what everyone was crowded around. It was a fun night, out and about just soaking in the atmosphere.

11 comments:

  1. You amaze me! I would never think of making my own pita bread. They look so perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look great! You had me until I saw the rolling part - argh, I'm terrible at rolling out perfect circles. lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a delicious and healthy dinner, well done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i kinda want that for lunch now..and dinner too!

    pita perfection!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome homemade pita bread!!! WEll done, Angie.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great idea... I once made pita bread for a party. I think that actually scared me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's like how you make your own pizza base and then you never go back to buying pre-made ones, or having greasy takeaway pizza ever again =D

    ReplyDelete
  8. thats pretty nice you made your own bread!

    ReplyDelete
  9. this looks amazing!!! i didn't know making flat bread was so easy. definitely going to try this one!

    ReplyDelete
  10. home made wraps. omg, why didn't i think of this. so tasty

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've made both pita and tortillas in the past and have always been much happier with the home-made ones than the shop bought ones. These wraps look so tasty Angie! :-)

    ReplyDelete