Sunday, March 21, 2010

Peanut Caramel Slice

        It's my turn to bring the snacks for Church this week (I'm taking Nam's turn this week because I couldn't make it when it was my actual turn and I actually had forgotten about it). I was thinking of what to make, because any opportunity that I get to be in the kitchen I will. I also wanted to see if I could try out some different recipes rather than make something that's been done before and well received. Upon surfing on the Taste website I found this recipe. Have always been meaning to have a go at a caramel slice and this version sounded rather scrumptious. I pretty much followed the recipe without any variation on my end. I also needed something savoury so made a dip as well (next blog entry).

        I doubled the recipe as the size of the pan required sounded way too small for my liking so double the recipe meant bigger pan. The biscuit base came out thicker than I had imagined though even after allowing for a bigger pan.

        Gooey sticky sweetened condense milk mmmm.

        Baked caramel layer, when stirring all the caramel ingredients in the pot it didn't seem to "thicken" the way I had imagined in my mind, I got a little impatient so just poured it over the base assuming it was ready. I ended up having to cook it more than the time stated on the recipe because the caramel hadn't quiet set yet, resulting in very crunchy toffee like edges all around. I probably should have lowered the temperature.

        I buy so much of this stuff, I should make Nestle pay me for product placement in my blogs ;)

        Final product, even though Ryan was left with all my chewy edge pieces he absolutely loved it. Crunchy base, smooth caramel, crunchy peanuts and then the smooth chocolate. Different flavours and textures to tantalise the taste buds. Decadence. The whole thing was slightly thicker than your average slice so I cut them into thin morsels instead of having this thick heavy square.

4 comments:

  1. omg yum! ryan is so lucky Angie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Jo! Haha, I seriously gotta be careful I don't give him a whole lot of health problems. I make stuff and bring it over for the family but it always seems that he eats the majority. He's got a wicked sweet tooth like me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I can cook and bake :(

    Your peanut butter slice is enough to make me drool.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Elaine! Eating and cooking come hand in hand for me, I only learn to cook through eating good food. I prefer to cook at home though because Ryan and I have just been to so many bad eateries it turns us off knowing that we can do better at home. Oh I do love to splurge once in a while and eat out at more finer establishments or the ones that we know can serve good food!

    ReplyDelete