Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Rosemary and Garlic Lamb Cutlets with White Wine Cream Sauce

        Don't you get annoyed when you do something so well that when you go do it again the next time the result isn't quiet the same? The first time I made this dish I was cooking with Ryan and it was good but it was probably the second time that I attempted this dish  that I received some raving reviews from my extended family members and I was actually under a bit of pressure because it seemed that these extended family members came over unexpectedly for dinner. Mum said that Grandma and Grandpa were coming for dinner and  I asked her to get me some "Lamb Chops" for dinner expecting the cheaper cuts that she usually buys, the last time I had cooked lamb I was trying out Lamb Cutlets and she must have remembered that and went to buy Lamb Cutlets instead, even after knowing how expensive they are to buy. She came home with 20 cutlets, and I got a little frustrated because I knew that 20 cutlets was barely enough to feed the immediate family plus Ryan and my grandparents. "2 each is enough isn't it?" she says, I was like "Mum have you seen the size of the cutlets?". Before long after a few phone calls it ended up being that my uncle and aunty were also coming over for dinner. And then my cousins were coming too! 20 cutlets was so not enough to go around. Mum and I ended up having to throw together all these other dishes so that we had enough food to feed everyone. Anyway, long story short, the 20 cutlets that were on the table received great feedback along with my white wine cream sauce and my mash potato and roast pumpkin. I made this dish again on Sunday for dinner, for some reason it didn't seem to taste as good as I remember it from that day. Maybe it's just me and my high expectations of myself.

        Mum bought approximately 2 kilos of lamb cutlets, that's one expensive Sunday dinner. There was only 6 of us eating this time so 20 would have been enough but I miscalculated and insisted she get extra cutlets. 30 Lamb Cutlets (2 kilos) = approximately $50, according to Mum she was getting the "loyal customer" rate from the butchers. They're not cheap!

Finally get to use my cute little mortar and pestle.

        The rub for the lamb, sea salt, rosemary (dried is fine), garlic, pepper and olive oil. Previously I've just crushed the garlic and salt seperately and thrown all the ingredients into a tub with the meat and mixed it up. Thought I would ground it all up this time to see if it makes a difference, looks fancy but my usual method seems to work fine. Less mess to clean up!

The meat changing colour from the marinade.

Not the best pic of it, my fluffy mash potato. Flavoured with butter, salt and pepper.

        Roast Vegetables: Pumpkin, Onion, Garlic, Potato (one of my brothers dislikes mash) and Asparagus. Drizzled with olive oil and sprinkled with some crushed sea salt and pepper, also a pinch or two of sugar over the vegies.

Steamed Broccolli for extra fibre and nutrition.

        My White Wine Cream Sauce: Brown the Lamb in the pan before putting in the oven, use same pan to sautee some sliced onion, crushed garlic and then half a cup of white wine to deglaze. Boil and reduce this down on medium heat for a couple of minutes, add Beef Stock, boil, add about a quarter cup of cream and simmer for a few minutes. Season to taste and then mix in some cornflour to help thicken the sauce a bit.

        Browned in a pan on both sides and then placed in the oven for 10-15 minutes. Still nice and pick on the inside.

No fancy presentation. I like it like this. YUM!

3 comments:

  1. They look great! Ahh yes cutlets aren't cheap but they're so tasty! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. yum. i'd be your relative anyday :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes lamb cutlets are mmmmmmmmmm.

    Haha Sarah I'll be happy to adopt you anyday ;)

    ReplyDelete