Sunday, March 21, 2010

Roast Beetroot Dip with Mini Grissini Sticks

        So this is kind of a continuation of my previous blog entry (Peanut Caramel Slice). It is a completely new dish but it was made to go with my slice as the savoury componant. I made the dip and the dippers from scratch so there were more photos taken hence these two needed a blog entry all to themself. Mum was questioning my bringing of the camera into the kitchen. It was too hard to explain why to her so I just continued doing what I do. The recipe for the dip also came from Taste however I made my own mini grissini sticks. My grissini was based on a recipe that came out of one of my cook books titled "The Food Of Italy". Picture above is of the yeast being activated by the warm water and brown sugar. This is a crucial step in making dough, if you don't get it right you won't get the right results.

        It's hard work making dough. Our mixer broke down and the quantity being made was too small for mum's (small) commercial sized mixer so I had to mix and knead the dough by hand. After it's all mixed and elasticy it's set aside to proof (double in size) while I roast my beetroot and garlic for the dip.

        One bunch of beetroot and one bulb of garlic. All looks so fresh!

        Wrapped with aluminium foil, they look so space agey.

        After about an hour the dough has doubled in size which means it's ready. The weather is also an element to be considered when making any kind of "bread". The dough needs a nice warm area to sit so it can rise, a warm/hot summer's day is usually quiet perfect though you have to put up with an extra hot kitchen when you get around to baking. When it's cold you need to create artificial warm conditions for the dough to rise, it's just easier to do when there's natural warmth in the air.

        I rolled each mini Grissini stick individually, I could have cheated and did one long rope of dough then cut it down but I wanted each one to be authentically hand rolled. It was tough, they were all different shapes and sizes and when baked they pretty much doubled in size so I ended up having these short stumpy sticks of bread that looked like fingers.
        Upon taste test these were definately crunchy (I was worried I wouldn't be able to get the crunch).

        Opening up my parcels after letting them cool down while making Grissini sticks.

        Gorgeous burgundy beetroot and my caramelised garlic.

        Into the processor for some pulsing.

        After adding the yogurt, it was such a spectacular shade of pink, mum accused me of using food colouring, I told her it was all natural beetroot.

        Final product. The dip was gorgeous, texture of the beetroot with the smoothness of the yogurt. According to food critic Ryan it could have done with a touch bit more salt, I didn't want to over season it as I have a tendancy to do that with my food every so often. Grissini sticks were as crunchy as they should have been and just so addicting to eat. All in all I am very happy with myself for having done well for my first time with these recipes.

2 comments:

  1. I really like this dip, it's so healthy and flavoursome. A good yogurt seems to make the world of difference.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know, it's hard to believe that it is so healthy for you! And easy to make too. Will definately make this again.

    ReplyDelete